Sunday, March 09, 2008  

Screenplay Quickie - 10,000 BC (2008)


This is a movie I have been eager to see. I am a big historical fiction buff. Just the thought of giant wooly mammoths coming to life on the big screen gets me going.

By no means is it a cinematic masterpiece, but you should have that mindset already when you sit your tush down in a seat. My expectations sought a visual experience. I got what I paid for. 10,000 BC is a theater must. How often do you get to see and hear a raging herd of mammoths?

Now for the quickie:

The script itself is very weak. The acts are clearly definable. The characters seem undeveloped and narrow. The dialogue… well… it’s hard to really critique the dialogue seeing that there were a lot of ancient tongues used that were subtitled. Was the English language we use today really around in 10, 000 BC? Hmmm… The pace of the script was choppy. I could go on forever like this. If I had a copy of the script to read I'm sure my opinions would be different. However, with all these flaws in the script I was still entertained. Remember, going into this I wanted visual entertainment not intellectual stimulation.


Maybe it’s a guy thing, I’m not sure. I loved this movie. So did my wife, but she left the theater looking for more. I left the theater grunting and roaring like a wooly mammoth in appreciation.

2 Stars for the script from A Screenwriter’s View
4 Stars for the visuals from A Screenwriter’s View

Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 1 hr 49 mins
Theatrical Release: 2008
Genre: Action/Adventure
Starring: Steven Strait, Camilla Belle, Cliff Curtis, Omar Sharif, Tim Barlow
Director: Roland Emmerich
Screenwriter: Roland Emmerich, Harald Kloser
Producer: Michael Wimer, Roland Emmerich, Mark Gordon

       

0 Comments: