Wednesday, February 27, 2008  

Screenplay Quickie – The Holiday (2006)

Have you ever found yourself flipping through the on-demand movie lists eagerly looking for that one special movie? You know, the one that makes you laugh, then cry etc.… and ultimately, has you running out to the store to buy it on DVD the next day. A couple of nights ago, my wife and me found that needle in the haystack. I can’t tell you how many times I flipped past it in the menu.

“The Holiday”, directed and written by Nancy Meyers, is a delightful romantic comedy starring Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet. One of the best I have seen in a long time. The film will capture your heart and quench your thirst for that never-ending need for romance.

I always try to stay away from explaining the whole story so that you can enjoy the movie. However, I consider the script to be fair game.

Here’s the screenplay quickie:

The script in general has a very simple premise and is well written. Where it fails in execution is in length. The setup takes awhile and doesn’t really leave you on solid ground as to where the movie is going. The beginning of Act 2 rambles on with no apparent direction. Many scenes are just to long. Then it hits you: ahhh… the romance. During the middle of act 2 you feel the script movement. The story builds and you finally connect with the characters. The time you have invested in the film begins to pay off. You long for closure. Act 3 will satisfy this need.

I would highly recommend this movie for couples. It will bring back the memories of when you first met and/or started dating. That goes without saying, even if you’re single, you will still enjoy this film. It presents hope. The hope that no matter how rough life gets, happiness is always just around the corner.

4 Stars from A Screenwriter’s View

U.S. Release Date: 12/8/06 (wide)
Running Length: 2:15
MPAA Classification: PG-13 (Profanity, sexual situations)
Director: Nancy Meyers
Screenplay: Nancy Meyers
Cast: Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Jack Black, Eli Wallach, Edward Burns, Rufus Sewell

6 Comments:

At 9:13 AM,Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I loved this movie and could relate to it in so many different areas. I wondered if anyone had the words to the scene where Kate Winslet was telling Jeff Black that she understood how he felt when he said, "Why do I fall for the bad ones?"

Thanks!

L

 
At 5:22 PM,Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to know the same thing, and get a copy of her words describing to Jack Black the feelings she has gone through with her painful relationship.

 
At 3:20 PM,Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the exact bit i'm looking for too! At the end where she is talking to Jeff, can't find it anywhere :/

xx

 
At 10:59 AM,Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nthink The Holiday is fantastic comedy of all times.I love,its great and I even think my life now is that of Iris.It gives me hope that one day the journey will end "journey ends in lovers meeting.
Mahbosung Colins
Cameroon

 
At 11:03 AM,Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think The Holiday is a fantastic comedy of all time.I love it,its great and I even think my life now is that of Iris.It gives me hope that one day the journey will end "journey ends in lovers meeting.It seems Meyer just added part of my life to that movie though I'm still a student.
Mahbosung Colins
Cameroon

 
At 4:05 PM,Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved everything about this film, except the lame ending. A girl doesn't reach a life-changing epiphany, race across the countryside in order say she'll go to a New Years Eve party! What? No "I love you too!" No "I can do my job here, let's see where this takes us?" No, "Will you marry me?" Just I'll stick around for New Years. HUGE letdown. No climax. Is our culture so jaded that we are satisfied with a two-week commitment in a love story?